terça-feira, 28 de março de 2017

MAN SHALL NOT LIVE ON COVERS ALONE


After the release of their debut album "Strike" (2009), Basti, Digger and Sam already had to answer in several interviews the question that did not want to be quiet: "Are you going to release an album with songs of your own? "Of course the answer was always" Yes ", because they were already presenting in their shows some own compositions with the" classic" covers of pop hits.


However, fans had to wait five years to listen to an album "almost" original: "Game Day". Why "almost"? Well, the album includes three covers: "Royals" of Lord,  "Video Games" of Lana del Rey' and  'Diamonds' of Rihanna. The album was officially released on March 28, 2014 and had two formats: Normal with 12 tracks and Deluxe with 17 (this one with Rihanna's cover).


According to Sam, the choice of the title was because, on the one hand, it is a reference to the name of the band and to the sport and, on the other, because they tried to have, musically, a lot of variety.


One funny thing is that to write their songs, they first compose in the pop style, and then make the arrangements in rockabilly, it means, as Basti said in an interview: "We make covers of ourselves", LOL.

And now let's go to Track-by-Track of the album (the opinions are from one of our administrators, it does not mean that the blog agrees, or doesn't, with her, ok?):

"I confess that when I heard the album" Game Day” for the first time I was very surprised. It really was not what I expected from the band, and I can tell you that I felt a bit disappointed, however ... 

... the second time I heard the album, my feet could not stop moving. And on the third, well, the album became my favorite. I know it may seem strange someone goes from the disappointment to 'I need listen this album at least one time in the day', but believe me ... it happened.

But before give my opinion about each track, I need to say that I’m not an expert or musical reviewer. I'm just going to express what I feel when I listen to each song. So, said this ... here we go!

The album opens with the dancing 'Let It Go', which has a fifties/sixties series style intro (Really? Why for?) and as the lyric said, even though you doesn't know the song to perfection, 'You’ll be screaming, dancing, singing along' in a kind of  'un-English', you know how it is, right?

The following, 'Mo Hotta Mo Betta', is one of my favorite of the album and of the band. A song that even with a rhythm that invites to dance possesses an intoxicating sensuality. And the ending with the vocal harmonies ... well, I guess I do not have to say how is incredible. And it's impossible not to love the music video. I'm on fire !!!



After burst into the flames comes, from my point of view, the most "rockabilly": 'Goodbye Peggy Sue'. And it begins already by name because many baby girls in the fifties and sixties were baptized of Peggy Sue in the United States. (From the first time I heard this song, the movie Peggy Sue Got Her Married with Nicholas Cage and Kathleen Turner came to my mind. If you didn't watch it, I recommend it.) Recommended music to dance spinning like crazy !!!



The first cover in the album is 'Royals' by New Zealand singer Lorde. It's not because I'm a fan of The Baseballs, but the boys version is much cooler. Maybe because the melancholy of the original version is cast aside, making it happier thanks to the mix of boys' voices.

One funny thing happens whenever I hear the next track 'My Baby Left Me For A DJ'. In my mind this song appears as part of a Broadway musical (laughs). I think it has all the rhythmic variations necessary for this kind of show: 'more melodic' parts to sensitize the audience, others more dancing to shake it and others that give the precise climax to keep the attention of the audience. And we can't forget the backing vocals that would be the dancers / extras (laughs). Listen to the final seconds of the song and tell me if it is not the perfect closure of the musical with the flashlight on the singer, gradually reducing the intensity until the stage to be completely dark ... the curtain comes down.

'Retrospect' is another of my favorite songs (and the superfavorite of another of the admin, so I'm afraid to talk about this track, LOL). Well, the beginning with this riff reminds me a lot of the song Johnny B. Goode - which reminds me of Michael J. Fox in the movie Back to the Future (laughs). Like most of the album's songs, 'Retrospect' invites you to get up out of the chair and dance, but with this particular song, is huge the desire to do the aerial steps, the ones that the woman gets with the "little paws up", you know what I mean laughs). I'm sure your feet don't stop moving while you listen to this track. Mine are already totally churning (laughs).

What catches my attention the most in the next track, '#Flashback', is the lyrics. Do you know for experience, boys? (laughs). It reminds me a lot of the 1980's Glam Rock lyrics: drinks and women. Musically, I think there is a bit of each previous song: soundtrack series, for dancing, sensuality ... And everything in the right measure and with total harmony between the parts.

'Bull's Eye' follows the previous vein, all elements are present, but the highlight of this song is at 1' 47". Remember the closure of the said musical above? Now, imagine the opposite: the flashlight over the singer, in an intimate atmosphere and suddenly ... the lights come on and all the other artists are on the stage. I know, I know ... I have a very vivid imagination, hahaha.

I think putting 'On My Way' after all these dancing songs was the most guess right choice. It's as if they want you to take a break and huddle on the sofa imagining being hugged. I feel that they are singing directly to me and, I'm sure, you feel the same.




And the second cover comes: 'Video Games'. I'm not very plugged in the new stuff, so the first time I heard this song was the version of The Baseballs. However, as I am curious creature, I ran to the You Tube and searched for the original version. What a radical change !!!! And forgive me Lana del Rey and her fans ... I choose a thousand times the version of the boys. For me, the faster rhythm they gave fits the lyrics more. Of course I do not know the backstage of the songwriting, but ...

I love 'Lucky Guy' !!! The riffs, the vocalizations, the "little screams", the melodies, even the drum and their breaks .... Everything perfect !!! And the lyrics!!! What woman would not want someone (that special someone) to say that the reason for him to be a lucky guy is you? Without doubt, this song is in my Top Ten.

When I first heard 'What You Want' I was shocked. From my point of view, this was the most different song of all of the album. Only after I read the interview where Sam comments that they wanted to make a more diverse album is that I "understood" the reason for 'What You Want' to be here. It's not one of my favorite songs and I can't fit it into the rock 'n' roll style (though that Hawaiian-like start reminds me of Elvis Presley's movie 'Blue Hawaii', but it's one of my crazy associations, hahaha), but at the same time, I think it fits well into the album. Something like a break for the next songs.




'Diamonds' is the third and last cover and the first song of the bonus tracks of the deluxe version. Unlike what happened with the song of Lana del Rey, I already knew the original version of Rihanna and I like it (wow!!!). What amazed me about the boys' version is their ability to change a solo song to a three-voice version and even though it's relatively different, thanks to the new arrangements, you can recognize it. I mean, they give a new personality, but without losing the old one. Something that since their first album, surprising me.

Raise your hand if when you hear 'King Kong' realized a 'James Bond atmosphere'! (I hope lots of hands have been raised, hahaha). As soon as I heard it for the first time, I felt inside a Agent 007's movie, but so far I don't understand the connection with King Kong, if anyone can explain me, please leave the explanation in the comments, LOL. Anyhow, I think this song is really cool and even cooler when it's live (thank you Saint You Tube for the wishes granted, hahahaha), I think their moves makes it more "delicious"

And here comes another ballad: 'Sun On A Black Sky'. One of the most beautiful lyrics I've ever heard in my life (and there are many years in this person, hahaha). I have the habit of trying to imagine what each part would look like if it were sung by another vocalist, for example, Basti singing Sam's parts or Sam singing Digger's or Digger singing Basti's. But in this song it's impossible! Each part is perfect for each particular voice.



And with the next song we returned to the diversity that Sam cited. 'Push Another Button' has a modern Rhythm 'N' Blues catch that reminds me Robin Thicke's song 'Blurred Lines'. I really like this song very much, it has a catching rhythm and is very funny. It's the ideal song for a Monday morning when you don't want to get up to go to your job (or school, it depends on your age, LOL)

The last track of the deluxe version is 'United State Of Mine'. I have to be honest, for me, this is the only song on the album that is expendable. I do not think it's bad, but I do not like it either. I think it may be because the lyric is a little sad, in my opinion. Don't kill me, it's just my opinion (laughs).

Well, if I have to give a score to this album is 1000 (Did I ever said that is my favorite album?). And even that I do not like (a lot) the last track, after hearing so many times "Game Day" I guess I would miss her if I was not"


Again, we ask fans around the world what they think about the album. Here are answers:

“I think that this album is their best. I continues amazing songs, I can say that my favorites. For me is best ‘On my way’, it’s my ringing tone in mobile phone. When I listen this song, I have nice memories from our way to Germany on their show. My next favorite are ‘Sun on a black sky’ and ‘Bull’s eye’. I like songs about love ‘What you want’ – it has a perfect rhythm. Same ‘My baby left me for a Dj’. And ‘Mo hotta mo betta’, perfect video! Please more and more good albums as Game Day” (Jitka – Czech Republic)

“In my opinion, Game Day was almost as good as strike! was.. If Xmas album was the most beautiful album, Game Day was so rock and roll, like good old times.” (Pia – Finland)

“We love this album really much, because the guys have many songs of their own. For one of us was the Game Day album the first album she knows and for me was the Game Day Tour, the second concert of the boys. I really miss this time, when the boys where on stage, it was amazing. I think Game Day is one of the best album of the guys, but I can’t choose one, I love all of them!” (Keshia & Jana – Switzerland)

"Game day is my favorite album of The Baseballs, besides the majority of the songs being their own authorship which gives the album a different magic, it has marked a lot in my life. In 2014 it was the year I was finishing my college, and it was dozens of dawns working on my graduation project and listening to that album endlessly... good times. Well my favorite song is 'Retrospect', this song has the power to make me feel good in any situation, it's my cellphone ring even today. But I like this album from the beginning to the end it's just sensational" (Dan - Brazil)


"Actually I do not have a favorite album, but Game Day is one of the ones I like the most, for the simple fact of having many songs of their own. I love all the songs but 'Sun on a Black Sky' excites me. 'Mo Hotta Mo Betta' is super sexy and the video is incredible. And I find the rhythm of 'What you want' delicious. I admit that I resisted to know it, because I met the band through covers that I loved, but when I decided to surrender, it was worth it" (Neia - Brazil)

"To be honest when I realized that Game Day will be album with their own songs not only covers like it was with previous albums I was a little bit afraid but when I got my copy and was able to hear all songs I changed my opinion. I just love this album and guys did amazing piece of work. I'm so proud of them because all own songs are just amazing. I love the lyrics and music. When I heard their cover of 'Video Games' I couldn"t believe that it's the same song I heard in radio and it makes me fall asleep. Sorry I don't want to say anything bad about original song but it's just not my type of music, but boy just made another little Diamond. I just adore humoristic lyrics and sometimes even naughty like in 'King Kong' for example, of course I have to mention King Kong dance what became my favorite choreo of guys. I always cry when I hear 'On My Way' is so lovely and cute song. Other song that will always have special meaning for me is 'What you want' I just love sound of ukulele and their voices in perfect harmony. In such way I can descripe all of the song but maybe it's not good idea it will be too long. So I will only say that after this album guys are even mo hotta and mo betta than before ^^ and I think my favorite two songs will be forever 'Push Another Button' and I really hope that someday I will be able to hear this song live because I love it, especially Sam's voice in it, sometimes I have a feeling that it's just song for him. And second song is 'Sun on a black sky' it's so romantic and I can hear there Bachata rythm what I really like" (Domi "Sam's Girl" - Poland)

"Game Day is for me an album (as well as the band in a whole) nostalgic and innovative as contradictory as it seems hahaha. Your copyrighted songs are not in any moment behind those that choose to re-record of other artists, which proves more and more evolution as Musicians, let's agree that keeping the audience captivated after a hit son is not easy, THE GUYS ARE GOOD!" (Bruno - Brazil)

“The first thing that makes you like the album "Game Day" is because it is an album full of copyrighted songs, because when we heard the band we started to like it for covers, but listening to the songs of the boys is incredible. By listening to the songs on the album we get the feeling that we are in a car going to a stadium to watch that classic game of your favorite sport, because most of the songs are lively and contagious.” (Sofia – Brazil)

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário